Re: Hylafax queueing but not sending

On Sat, 20 Nov 1999, Christopher Biow wrote:

> Bodo Bock wrote:
>
> >The faxgetty seems to be missing:
> >Check for a line
> >
> >mo:23:respawn:/usr/lib/fax/faxgetty ttyS1
> >
> >in /etc/inittab
>
> That's it! Thank you very much. A command line "/usr/sbin/faxgetty -D
> ttyS1" fixes the problem and makes faxes begin to send.
>
> I'm uncertain, though, about what the correct, canonical place would be for
> starting the faxgetty in RedHat. At runlevels 1-5, the .rpm setup invokes
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/hylafax, which includes a specific comment that " This
> script assumes faxgetty processes are managed by init". Why would it not be
> in the init.d script, which would allow restarting of all hylafax daemons
> at once?

Ahh. Because there are *LOTS* of things that can nuke or crash or
close a faxgetty. If that happens, you want it to restart automatically,
so it goes in /etc/inittab which monitors the condition of the serial
lines for exactly this sort of use.

> If I do put faxgetty in inittab, I presume I'd want something more like
> this for RH6.0, to include runlevels 4 and 5 and accommodate the different
> path:
>
> fax:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS1
>
> Does that look safe?

It looks *safe*. I'd actually only use runlevels 3 and 5, for when
there is a network connection present. Nobody really *USES* run levels
2 and 4 normally. The run levels on Linux are as follows:

	0	shut down
	1	single user
	2	not normally used
	3	active network