faxaddmodem problem on Solaris 7 running on Ultra 10

First of all, has anybody successfully configured HylaFAX 4.0pl2 on Solaris
7 sparc?  I've finally been able to figure out the difference between
/dev/term/a and /dev/cua/a.  (term/a is for incoming and cua/a for outgoing
right?)

I've successfully compiled HylaFAX v4.0pl2 with gcc v2.8.1 with the patches
installed.  Another thing I found out was that I needed to unset
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to null before compiling.

The problem I'm encountering is the usage of the faxaddmodem.  I've tried to
specify term/a and got no response.  When I tried to specifiy cua/a, the
script started looping to find the DTE-DCE speed but was unsuccessful in
detecting the speed.  As far as I can tell, I've configured the port
correctly under Solaris 2.x/7 guidelines and am able to access the port
using "tip -38400 /dev/cua/a" without any problems.  Can anybody tell me if
I'm missing something here?

Another thing is the vgetty and egetty issue.  I don't want to receive
incoming faxes.  I just want to send.  Is there a way to configure HylaFAX
to just be in "send" mode rather than both send and receive.  In otherwords,
how do I disable the use of getty, egetty, and vgetty?

TIA.

Lenon Chang