Re: Mail to Fax

On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 09:14:31AM -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> > In my view, people should not create binary RPMs of beta software.
> > Please take your questions to the maintainer of that RPM.  If software
> > is truly beta, it should only be used by people with the system management
> > skills to do first line diagnosis.
>
> Unfortunately, David, RedHat Linux evolves so fast that older RPM's
> are difficult to install and work with. And the 4.0pl... source
> bundles *WILL NOT* compile under RedHat 6.  Darren's RPM's really are
> the easiest and best way for users to get it as close to right
> as is possible so far.

Indeed.  I've just installed the 4.1b1 rpm over RH6 with the factory
GhostScript (which, BTW, is _newer_ than the build on ftp.hylafax.com,
but one build number).

The install went _almost_ perfectly (the faxsetup script wants
/usr/bin/mawk, but was happy with a symlink to /bin/awk), and it ran
out of the box.  With a Sportster 28k8, believe it or not -- set it up
as 2.0.  Haven't faxed to a _lot_ of test machines yet, but it worked
right on the first one.

> > Generally hylafax is documented on the basis that the user is a
> > traditional Unix system manager; anyone producing binary versions
> > has a responsibility to write additional documentation suitable for
> > plug and play users.
>
> Hey! We're trying! Remember that this is freeware: finding extra time
> to write updated manual pages is sometimes difficult for the people
> doing real work on it.

Boys, boys...  :-)

I consider you both Hats on this list; play nice.

I concur, though, that some user level docos would be nice; I'd like
to think I can find time to write some, but I'll certainly make time to
edit anything someone else writes, if asked.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592