Re: Waiting for modem to come ready............

On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 12:04:52PM +0200, Giulio Orsero wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 1999 17:17:14 -0500, hai scritto:
> >Faxstatus returns recognition of the schedular and states that it is
> >"waiting for the modem to come ready."   I am using a USRobotics(now 3Com of
> >course) Sportster 56K fax/data modem. Is there possibly some dipswitch

> If you don't have faxgetty in respawn on the serial line, this is normal
> behavior. I use HylaFAX to send fax only (no faxgetty), and I always get
> that message; that message goes away when Hylafax is sending a fax, in
> that case it says "Sending job xxx".
> This is because, without faxgetty, faxq cannot know the state of the
> fax.

Yes.  This is one of the less well-documented parts of the system.

It is always recommended to use faxgetty to manage your modems, even in
outbound-only systems.  You have to add this to your /etc/inittab file
manually; faxsetup wil not do it for you.

The section should look something like:

# run faxgetty
fx:2345:respawn:/usr/sbin/faxgetty ttyS0 38400

with your portname and speed.

Do that, and 'telinit q' as root, to make it active, and your faxstat
should start doing what you expect.

This also exposes one of the major weaknesses of the current init; I'd
really like to see a version that not only reads /etc/inittab, but
maybe the contents of /etc/inittab.d/*, for all non-hidden files in
that directory, or possibly all that end in a '+' sign.

This would make it _much_ easier for installed packages to interact
with inittab, in much the same fashion that they can now easily
interact with /etc/rc.d/init.d.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592