Re: RTN

Hi,

At 02:26 PM 8/26/99 +0800, CN Liu wrote:
>Hello! Hylafax gurus,
>
>Linux 2.0.35 (upgraded from Slackware) + Hylafax v4.0pl2 (compiled from
>source) + Zyxel U-2496E firmware 6.2.
>
>I have applied patches Tagline and ReduceSpeed obtained from
>http://www.trump.net.au/~rjc/hylafax.

Both these patches by the way are in 4.1beta.

>I have also searched and read almost all postings related to RTN
>problems - only the first page sent but 3 times. I am having the same
>problem. The modem firmware with version 6.17 had the RTN problem, too.

Check to see if you have the latest revision of firmware for your
model.  Also if possible try to isolate the problem by connecting the modem
to a different phone line, swapping the modem for another model, swapping
the modem cable and finally the serial card or even the server machine itself.

If it still fails consistently after that, then its probably a software
problem...

>config.ttyS0 (generated by faxaddmodem):
>
>ModemType:              Class2.0        # use class 2.0 interface
>ModemRate:              38400           # 38.4 works fine
>ModemFlowControl:       rtscts          # default
>#ModemFlowControl:       xonxoff        # This does not help either.
>ModemResetCmds:         AT&B1&N0&S0*F0S18=2S38.3=1S39=0
>#ModemResetCmds:      AT&B1&N0&S0*F0S18=3S38.3=1S39=0 # This does not
>help either.
>
>What else did I miss?
>
>Does this RTN problem belong to Zyxel 1496E modem or Hylafax, or any
>other component?

Try running the modem in class 2 instead of class 2.0.

Also perhaps try class 1(it is a bit harder to get a working config file
with class 1 than class 2).

- Robert