docq files not getting cleaned up

I have a problem with files staying around in the docq directory
forever after the job completes.

The reason they are staying around is that there is more than one link to
the file.  For example:
 799103 -rw-rw----  17 uucp     60002       30857 Dec  4  1998 doc16422.ps
 799103 -rw-rw----  17 uucp     60002       30857 Dec  4  1998 doc16422.ps.12852
 799103 -rw-rw----  17 uucp     60002       30857 Dec  4  1998 doc16422.ps.12853
[ 14 more hardlinks follow... ]

I can reproduce the problem by sending file to more than one destination.
i.e. more than one -d option in the sendfax command.  (We have a lot of
users who send jobs to multiple destinations.)

The doc16422.ps file is the "source document" (doc<docnum>.<type>) and

Apparently the job reference file for the first job get removed ok, but
all others are not.  As a result, hylafax thinks that these jobs have
not completed and does not remove the source document either.

There are some comments explaining what the server does in
faxQueueApp.c++, but I am not yet familiar enough with the code to find
the place where the job reference file is removed.

(I'm running hylafax-v4.0pl2 on Linux 2.0.33 (Caldera 1.2))

Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Has anyone already fixed this problem?
Does anyone send faxes to multiple destinations, who can confirm that they
do NOT have this problem?

Is there someone with in-depth knowledge of the code who would be willing
to try to answer some in-depth questions about it, to help me find the
problem?

~ John Williams