Re: Multitech & faxaddmodem problem

On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 11:17:39AM -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> > I get the error message:
> > "Hmmm, there does not appear to be an fuser command on your machine. This
> > means that I an unable to insure that all processes using the modem have
> > been killed. I will keep going but be aware that you may have competition
> > for the modem"
>
> Jeff, look for other jobs that have things running on /dev/modem or
> /dev/ttyS1. mgetty (if you have that installed!), minicom, PPP, etc.
> "fuser" should *not* fail.
>
> > So, I assume that the script will function and it runs fine until it
> > Probes the modem for type and speed.
> >
> > After probing I get:
> > "Unable to deduce DTE-DCE speed; check that you are using the correct
> > device and/or that your modem is setup properly..."  And the program ends.
>
> No surprise: something is keeping fuser from working on that device, which
> means that it won't be able to open the serial port.

Forgive me, Nico, but doesn't that message mean that fuser is
_missing_, rather than merely not running?

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592