Multitech & faxaddmodem problem

Hi,

I am new to Hylafax (and Linux too actually).

I am trying to add my Multitech MT3334ZDX fax modem with faxaddmodem. I am
running Hylafax version 4.1 beta on a 486DX/100, serial port (ttyS1)
running UART 16450, and RedHat 6.0.

My first error message happens when I start faxaddmodem and I think
relates to the computer rather than the modem, but I am not sure what it
means.

I get the error message:
"Hmmm, there does not appear to be an fuser command on your machine. This
means that I an unable to insure that all processes using the modem have
been killed. I will keep going but be aware that you may have competition
for the modem"

So, I assume that the script will function and it runs fine until it
Probes the modem for type and speed.

After probing I get:
"Unable to deduce DTE-DCE speed; check that you are using the correct
device and/or that your modem is setup properly..."  And the program ends.

When I specify speed with "faxaddmodem -s 9600 ttyS1" or  versions of it,
I get the same "fuser command warning" and later:

"Using user-specified 9600 to talk to modem.
/sbin/stty: standard input: unable to perform all requested operations

There was no response from the modem. Perhaps the modem was turned
off...."

and then

"The result of the AT+FCLASS=? command was

ATQ0V1E1
AT+FCLASS=?1

We were unable to deduce what type of modem you have. This means that it
did not respond as a Class 1, Class 2, or Class 2.0 modem should....." And
the program ends.

Once I got

"The result of the AT+FCLASS=? command was:

ATQ0V1E1
AT+FCLASS=?K
"

I've looked at the FAQ, and the mail-list archives, but haven't found
anything that will help.  I have been making one step forward and two
steps back for a few days now. I am guessing it is something simple, but
beyond me right now and would appeciate any help I could get.

thanks,

Jeff Jones