Re: Help choosing a UK modem for Hylafax

On Mon, Jun 21, 1999 at 02:22:26PM -0400, Glenn Burkhardt wrote:
> > I hear excellent things about the MultiTech modems, although I've only
> > personally installed one for use with HF.  I had a small problem; they
> 					     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > had tech support people who actually knew that Linux and HF existed,
> > and helped me get it fixed promptly.
>                        ^^^^^
> Would you mind posting a description of the problem and the fix?  My
> apologies in advance if you did already and I missed it.  Thanks.

I did, but it was interlineated in a reply to someone else's problem,
so I'm not surprised some folk missed it.

Two problems:

Hylafax detects the 5634 as a 1432, and uses a config file with a
dialstring with an '2' sign in it.  Delete that; the 5634 gets
confused.

Also, for some reason, the 4.16 rev of the firmware seems to ignore M0
(to silence the modem), unless you also specify L0 (no volume), which
HF doesn't set, by default.  Add M0L0 to the dialstring.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592