help! can't faxalter or faxrm! permission denied!

I am running the latest 4.X of Hylafax on Red Hat Linux 4.2.

Here is what happens when I try to faxrm a job:

[root@flip docq]# faxrm -v 240
Trying localhost (127.0.0.1) at port 4559...
Connected to localhost.
220 flip.alibi.com server (HylaFAX (tm) Version 4.0pl2) ready.
-> USER root
230 User root logged in.
-> JKILL 240
504 Cannot kill job: Operation not permitted.
-> JDELE 240
504 Cannot delete job: Operation not permitted.
504 Cannot kill job: Operation not permitted.

I think I may have screwed something up when I tried to move the =
/fax/spool/docq directory to an external SCSI disk and set up a link to =
it on the original internal IDE disk where Hylafax is installed. But I =
can fax OK, I just can't faxalter or faxrm a job. Any ideas what I =
screwed up?