Re: USRobotics RPI modem

On Wed, Jun 09, 1999 at 05:51:31AM -0400, charles.stuart@juno.com wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jun 1999 13:31:28 -0400 "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra@baylink.com>
> writes:
> >I'm amazed that efax _does_ work.  RPI modems, or in their more
> >correctly pejorative description, "WinModems", don't have much code
> >on the board.
>
> Actually, RPI (Rockwell Protocol Interface, if I remember correctly)
> modems are not WinModems, they are merely brain dead.  Basic modem
> functions are on board, but advanced functions require special software.
> I've gotten examples to work under HylaFax before, with varying degrees
> of pain.

Damn; you caught me.  You're right; they aren't completely brain dead,
just learning disabled... but I don't remember ever seeing an RPI fax
modem, even in Class 1.  There were some?

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592