Re: WHFC printer Question

On Wed, Jun 09, 1999 at 08:48:58AM -0500, Greg Breland wrote:
> I am about to roll out an 8 modem Hylafax server using WHFC as the client.
> Everything is up and working great except for initializing the modems on
> boot, which running faxgetty will probably fix that.

Likely..

> My question is not a do or die question, just a simple cosmetic question.
> Has anyone modified the name of a postscript printer driver so that instead
> of printing to a printer called "Apple LaserWriter 16/600 PS" you can print
> to a printer called something more like "Hylafax" or "Fax Server" or
> anything.  NT does not let me re-name the printer like Win95 does, unless
> there is a way to do it that I am not aware of.

I suspect that you can name the printer anything you like ... how else
would you deal with more than one printer of the same type on a host.

> You know how end users are, I will get calls for the next two years asking
> which printer do I print to again to send a fax?  Each of our users uses
> about 6 networked printers, so they do have a few to choose from.

Indeed.  I'm reasonable certain (not being a strong NT guy) that you
can, in fact, name the printer "FAX Server" (my recommended name) when
you create it, somehow.  If you don't get a better answer than "look
through the help some more", mail me privately, and I'll poke my NT
guy.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592