Segmentation fault (core dumped) when doing faxstat -v

Thanks to everyone who emailed help on getting Hylafax working... but
getting Hylafax up & running on my linux box is turning out to be a real
puzzle.  To recap:

-> RH 5.2 Linux box
-> rpm install from hylafax-4_0pl2-3rh5_i386.rpm
-> everything seems correctly set up (faxq, hfaxd, faxgetty all running, fax
hosts file has localhost entries, modem & serial port okay)

This is what happens when I test Hylafax using faxstat:

# faxstat
Service not available, remote server closed connection
# faxstat -v
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Is it possible hylafax doesn't like my hardware, an old DECpc 450D2LP 486
DX/2 machine?  Is there anything I can look for in the core dump file?
(it's mostly binary data however some of it is readable ascii)

Any clues at this point would be most welcome...

TIA again,
  -Russ
   rsalerno@fortunoff.com