Re: beta version?

At 17:09 11/05/99 -0400, Dave Wreski <dave@nic.com> wrote:

>Hi all.  I understand there is currently a 1.3M development patch for pl2 on
>ftp.hylafax.org.

It's not a patch, but a beta distribution. It is located at :

ftp://ftp.hylafax.org/pub/hylafax/source/BETA/

and consolidates all the important patches since the release of v4.0pl2 in
February 1998.

>How stable is this patch?

I have been running the beta distribution for a couple of months in my
production (send only, Linux RedHat) environment and have found it very
stable and an signficant improvement on v4.0pl2.

[ Some figures; from Robert's errorstats script, the error rate per 1000
  has decreased from 86.7 for v4.0pl2 to 32.1 for v4.0pl2-rjc5 - these
  rates ignore the errors not controllable by HylaFAX such as 'No answer
  from remote' and 'Client does not support document page width'. ]

>Any ETA on a release date?

That's up to the Maintainer.

>Perhaps it's possible to
>make the patch smaller, and test each new feature/bug fix individually
>instead of one huge patch?

The individual patches are available from www.hylafax.org/patches/
but since you would have to re-compile the source anyway, you may as well
go the whole hog and use the beta.

Cheers,
Phil Watkinson,
Boston, UK.