Re: Switching Modem to Data

David Woolley wrote:
> > I now have hylafax's startup string in inittab, but it seems to be
> > blocking my use of the modem for data.  Is there some way to avoid this
> > problem?
>
> In what way is it blocking it.  Hylafax can handle inbound data calls and
> has no problems with outbound data calls if configured correctly (using

Thanks to all who have helped with my various questions.  It looks like
Christopher has at least one way to avoid conflict: using a different
name for the device... although I understand you to be saying that I
=should= use the same name for all programs that use the modem.  I see
that ppp is using dev/modem, so I will try that instead of dev/cua1.

In answer to your question, the respawn in inittab causes the modem
to initialize while a data call is still going on.

Lane

----
Lane Lester / Madison County, Georgia USA
----
Coming to you from Red Hat Linux 5.2