Re: WHCF takes a lot to login

Or it could be that name resolving on the Linux machine isn't working
very well. Various programs need to do a reverse name lookup to see
who is coming in (tcpd in particular), if it fails to get an answer
from the first DNS host it tries, then it has to move on to the next.

As Gunter suggests, try doing a telnet from the win95 host. If it
takes a long time to come up with the login prompt, or takes a long
time to let you in once you have put in the name and password, then I
would check out the DNS stuff on the Linux box.

Damian

Günter Zöchbauer wrote:

> Have you tried telnet (and WHFC) with the ip number or with the
> hostname.
> Looks like a problem with name resolving.
> Verify your hosts file on the W95 client.
>
> Ste schrieb:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm running hylafax-4.0pl1-9 on a red Hat Linux 5.2 i386 system.
> > Trying to connect from a windows95 lan client with WHCF 1.0.4 takes
> > about 2 minutes, plus another minute to have the "modem running and
> > idle" message (but it takes a second telnetting the fax server from the
> > same client !).
> > Three times out of four, WHCF get frozen and I've to kill the
> > application.
> >
> > I'm wondering what's wrong, but I've no idea.
> > How can I fix the problem ?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Stefano

* Damian Ivereigh     *      ||        ||      * Cisco Systems, Inc.
*
* MIS Printer Admin   *    .||||.    .||||.    * Sydney, Australia
*
* Linux Bigot         * ..:||||||:..:||||||:.. * +61 2 8448 7344
*
* damian@cisco.com    *   cisco Systems, Inc.  * Fax: +61 2 8448 7228
*