Re: About HylaFAX 4.0pl2+Slack3.5+USR 33.6Sportster Voice FAX

At 17:46 25/01/99 +0000, kremidas@lrf.gr wrote:
>Hello to all,
>
>I've succesfully managed to compile (after installing some patches
>for gcc etc) and install HylaFAX 4.0pl2 on a Slackware 2.0.35
>Linux machine. I also have a USR Sportster Voice 33600 FAX Rev.
>2.0 (as probemodem said).

Hi,

Many people have had problems with the USR Sportster 33.6 modem. Best
bet is to change it; but some have tried adding the following line to
their modem config file (eg /var/spool/fax/etc/config.cua1 file) :-

Class2NRCmd:		AT+FNR=1,1,1,0      #setup status reporting command

>...Well I want the HylaFAX only for
>sending faxes so I only need to run faxq and hfaxd (with params -i
>4559 -o 4557 -s 444).

You have the old procotol and snpp services available as well as the
normal hylafax protocol; only required if you have windows 3.1 clients
and pagers to service. My working machine (RedHat 51.) runs with :

[root /root]# ps ax |grep fax
27438  p0 S    0:00 grep fax
  340  ?  S    0:00 /usr/local/sbin/faxq
  349  ?  S    0:00 /usr/local/sbin/hfaxd -i hylafax
  375  ?  S    0:00 /usr/local/sbin/faxgetty ttyS1
[root /root]#

>...Until here everything is ok. But when I use
>sendfax as a test (sendfax -n -d 93230668 /etc/passwd, the 9 is
>nessesary to make an external call) the file is spooled but after
>while an e-mail from the Faxsimile Agent arrives and tells me that
>the job wasn't completed and the modem couldn't initialized
>properly.  (I attache the log)

Well, what does 'faxstat' say? With faxgetty running, it should say
'running and idle', without faxgetty it may say 'Waiting to come ready'.

>.... But the modem is plugged correctly
>since I used succesfully cu -l cua1 command to check it and get
>AT responses. So it refuses to send any fax at all.
>
>Any hints ??

I'm guessing, but it could be that you need to tell hylafax that the
modem is available for use.  The obvious thing to try if you are not
running faxgetty is, at the command prompt, to do :
  # faxgetty cua0

Hope this helps,
Phil Watkinson,
Boston, UK.