RE: FW: Hylafax - faxq unable to exec faxsend

Darren,

First of all, you need to relax.  I did not set out to indict your work.
 If you look back through the archive you will see that I posted a detailed
description of the problem that I was having twice.  It was only after I
posted it the second time that anybody offered any advice.  I received one
reply to the second note from someone who read the messages log too quickly
and misread the actual error message.  Additionally, I have posted this
same problem to three different Usenet groups and also didn't get a
response.  So forgive my impression that there is no one out there who is
interested in Hylafax on Linux not to mention RedHat Linux.  This
impression was further heightened by notes that I have read on this list
maligning Linux.

In general, I do not approach the authors of packages as step 1.  I try to
do my own work first.  When I realized that you were active in the mailing
list, I was hopeful that you would reply to my message.  Since you didn't,
I respected your silence.

I have only been using Linux for six months.  Though I have used seven
different variants of Unix over the last 8 years, I still consider myself a
newbie to Linux.  And yes, in my opinion, the documentation for installing
Hylafax on Linux needs improvement.  It took me about six different notes
pulled from different places to get the tips to handle the dependencies
correctly.  It would be nice to have these assembled into a single FAQ
response and placed on the Hylafax FAQ.  As I stated in my previous note, I
am willing to help on this (Don't flame volunteers)

I can only plead Mea Culpa for not attempting the SRPM.  For one, I simply
didn't think about it since I haven't had to resort to it on any other
package that I have worked with.  In all likelihood, it would have worked.
 However, after spending the equivalent of days digging through output from
strace, I thought it best to start with the unpatched source and go through
it step by step.

I apologize for stepping on toes, but IMHO you are way too quick to fly off
on this one.

Sincerely,

William