Prompt modem "ERROR" to ATDT<digits> (was: error code 5)

This is a modem related problem, but you haven't identified the modem!

> i'm running a hylafax-server on my linux box.

Linux runs on at least three different processor architectures, and there
are numerous distributions and version of those distributions, and many
people make their own local additions.

>  Jan 18 19:13:12.22: [27803]: <-- [30:AT+FLI="Ingenieurbuero Brand"\r]

I would use a legal value for this until you get things working.  The
intention of this field is to contain an international phone number,
and so you should limit it to +, space, and digits.  Most equipment
is happy with violations of this rule.

>  Jan 18 19:13:12.46: [27803]: --> [2:OK]
>  Jan 18 19:13:12.51: [27803]: DIAL 6568233
>  Jan 18 19:13:12.51: [27803]: <-- [12:ATDT6568233\r]

Requesting tone dial of the number 656 8233.  I thought Germany went in
for long phone numbers - I wonder if you are using US style dialing
code translations?

>  Jan 18 19:13:12.63: [27803]: --> [5:ERROR]

The modem rejected the number very quickly, so it's not a lack of
    ^^^^^
dialtone.  The modem is in an illegal state, there is a national policy
against 7 digit numbers, or against numbers starting 6 or 65, the modem
has blacklisted the number because of too many recent failed attempts, etc.
The 5 is the number of letters in the word ERROR, not the error code.
What happens if you dial this number through a terminal program?
What happens if you run through the whole sequence to this point with
a terminal program?

> Can anybody help me with this error.
> Where can i find a complete list of error codes?

In the technical documentation for your modem, for this sort of error,
and in the source code of Hylafax and the rest of the operating system
for other errors.  Generally the documentation supplied with modems
does not constitute technical documentation, but many suppliers have
real technical documentation on their web site.  Many re-badged modems
are really Rockwell ones and there is documentation on their technical
(not corporate) web site.

grep is your friend for source code error messages.