Re: modem sleeping?

Herman Van Keer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I got HylaFAX running. (thanks for the quick reply solving my problems)
> Last Friday I could send a Fax, but today it seemed that the modem did
> not wake up.
> The server was running and 'waiting for the modem to come ready'.

I had a problem very similar to this. What fixed it for me was mentioned
by someone on this list. My modem is on /dev/ttyS0, and the permissions
on this device had been changed. I stopped Hylafax, reset the
permissions to their default, edited inittab to start faxgetty on
/dev/ttyS0, told init to reread inittab, and restarted Hylafax. The
device permissions have been altered again, but that seems to be by
design, as everything is now functioning properly. I suspect running
faxgetty (even on a send only system) contributes greatly to having a
stable and reliable server.

Mike.