modem sleeping?

Hi,

I got HylaFAX running. (thanks for the quick reply solving my problems)
Last Friday I could send a Fax, but today it seemed that the modem did
not wake up.
The server was running and 'waiting for the modem to come ready'.

After submitting a simple text (sendfax -d number /etc/passwd - Yes I am
just testing the stuff), the modem was not ready...
I checked the modem conf through cu - l /dev/faxmodem = I had
connection, modem ready and a phone line.

After I did 'faxmodem faxmodem' (the name of my faxmodem is actually
faxmodem) - it runned without any problems.

I tried a second fax today and it worked fine also.

I there something I am forgetting...
As far as I know, the HylaFAX server should just do its job.
What could eventually cause this problem?
Anybody's having had a simular problem or (even better) know a solution?

Thanks
Herman