not using faxgetty

Hello,

I am currently planning to buy a (external) faxmodem that is capable of
buffering faxes. It will probably be a US Robotics Message Plus. This modem
uses standard AT commands, so regular operation won't be a problem.

For the activation of the buffer-mode, I can see two solutions:

  1) I change some of hylafax scripts so they understand the "new" at
     commands for the buffering, this method can pose some problems, later
     more on that.
  2) Place the modem in permanent buffer-modem and poll each n minutes
     for new faxes (the usage will be rather low: about 20 faxes a day, so
     that wont be a problem). This method means I wont use faxgetty to
     get faxes, but I will use an external script.

With method 1), I can't guarantee that the modem will be in buffer mode when
the computer has an power outage (or anything abnormal), unless off course the
modem has a modus for that. I'll have to check the technical manual.

My question now is: will hylafax retain all it's capability when I replace
faxgetty with a polling script that will place incoming faxes in hylafax's
incoming queue? Or would that break some of hylafax functions.

Bavo De Ridder