Re: HylaFAX and RPM's

Nico Garcia wrote:

    On Mon, 25 May 1998, Dave Parker wrote:

    > Nico Garcia wrote:

    > >On Mon, 25 May 1998, Dave Parker wrote:
    > >
    > >> I haven't been following this thread very closely because I'm running
    > >> HylaFAX
    > >> 4.0pl2 built from the sources on COL 1.2 with no problems, but how, other
    > >> than the lib issues, does 4.0.2-9 differ from 4.0pl2??
    > >
    > >Ghostscript location and font locations, "config.site", initialization
    > >script, and who knows what else without installing.
    >
    > You mean that the rpm uses the default linux locations for gs and the
    > fonts?  It wasn't THAT tough to build everything from the source
    > distributions!!

    I'm not sure which HylaFAX RPM's had it correctly set: the default
    RedHat Linux for ghostscript fonts, etc., was not included in the
    original HylaFAX configuration script. It therefore needed tweaking to
    compile, either a symbolic link added or a modified config.site or
    modified "configure" script.

The correct way is to create a right ./config.site file and run
a clean ./configure for the target system and ...

    Similarly, the "etc/hylafax.sh" script in the source used locations of
    the script inconsistent with RedHat 5.0 and needed tweaking to install
    as "hylafax" in /etc/rc.d/init.d/.

... this should also fix all problems in etc/hylafax script (because
it is created by the configure from etc/hylafax.in). If not one
should send mods for a better etc/hylafax.in (e.g. with hooks
for platform dependent scripts).

I think most of the problems in the RPM's are the result of putting
things together in a wrong way or w/o knowledge how the things are
designed to be (remember the discussion about creating modem-config
files by hand and not run the faxsetup(1M) tool).

	matthias

    The RedHat 5.1 release is also coming out Real Soon Now. I am
    frightened of the implementation of "linuxconf". That broken piece of
    GUI !@#$ really, really screwed up my attempt to set up Linux
    as a gateway machine from home to my ISP.

    But we should perhaps save efforts to set up an RPM for *THAT*.