Re: HylaFAX and RPM's

Nico Garcia wrote:

>On Mon, 25 May 1998, Dave Parker wrote:
>
>> >The RedHat 5.1 release is also coming out Real Soon Now. I am
>> >frightened of the implementation of "linuxconf". That broken piece of
>> >GUI !@#$ really, really screwed up my attempt to set up Linux
>> >as a gateway machine from home to my ISP.
>> >
>> >But we should perhaps save efforts to set up an RPM for *THAT*.
>>
>> Hmmm..  I think I'll do a clean install of 5.1 on a virgin machine and try
>> to get HylaFAX built on that and see what happens.  It took me a few tries
>> before I finally got it right on COL 1.2, but all it took was a fairly
>> thorough reading of the docs and the humility to assume that the writer
>> knew what he/she was talking about.  I guess those two things (reading AND
>> trusting the docs) are not as common as you might think.
>
>I read them. I thought I understood them. It proceeded to *DELETE* the
>/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo script and screw up the
>"localhost" entry, and does not use the "localhost" entry in its
>default "instant /etc/hosts with machines named after fruit" setup.

Woops!  Hope you didn't think I was implying you didn't read and/or
understand.  Your posts are the most consistently helpful and
constructive on the list, at least that's my impression...

>This is a sign of sloppy writing, as well as the way that it just says
>"start me saving stuff" without really listing what it intends to do.
>And it really screwed up diald: I am *NOT* happy with the last version
>of linuxconf that I tried.

I haven't used linuxconf, so I can't comment on that.  I will say, though,
that in general most of the problems I've had - with HylaFAX or anything
else - have been self-inflicted.
--
Dave Parker/DLP, Inc     dlparker@dlpinc00.com