Re: HylaFAX RPM

In message <3.0.1.32.19980524155117.006d68ec@elgro.co.uk>, Phil Watkinson write
s:

>Hi Darren,
>
>There is a later rpm for HylaFAX, available in the ftp RedHat contrib
>directory or its mirrors :
>
>	hylafax-4.0-8.i386.rpm	10 Feb 1998		1004409 bytes

Okay, you've got me here. I've checked the Imperial College archive very
thoroughly . . . below contrib/ all I found is:

./SRPMS/hylafax-4.0-6.src.rpm
./readmes/hylafax.README
./hurricane/SRPMS/hylafax-4.0pl1-9.src.rpm
./hurricane/i386/hylafax-man-4.0pl1-9.i386.rpm
./hurricane/i386/hylafax-man-gz-4.0pl1-9.i386.rpm
./hurricane/i386/hylafax-htmldoc-4.0pl1-9.i386.rpm
./hurricane/i386/hylafax-4.0pl1-9.i386.rpm
./i386/hylafax-4.0-6.i386.rpm
./grouped/libc5/i386/Libraries/hylafax-4.0-6.i386.rpm
./grouped/glibc/i386/Applications/Communications/hylafax-4.0pl1-9.i386.rpm
./grouped/glibc/i386/Applications/Communications/hylafax-htmldoc-4.0pl1-9.i386.rpm
./grouped/glibc/i386/Applications/Communications/hylafax-man-4.0pl1-9.i386.rpm
./grouped/glibc/i386/Applications/Communications/hylafax-man-gz-4.0pl1-9.i386.rpm

No hylafax-4.0-8, as you can see. Can't find it at ftp.redhat.com either, when
the server's in a mood to allow me to stay connected I'll have another look.

>This is an extract from the info file :
>
>Group       : Applications/Communications
>Source RPM: hylafax-4.0-8.src.rpm
>Size        : 3069196
>Packager    : Bernd Johannes Wuebben <wuebben@kde.org>
>Summary     : [snip]
>Description : [snip]
># A previous version of this spec file was handed to me by
># Ramana Juvvadi (juvvadi@lekha.org)
># who unfortunately can no longer provide rpms of hylafax.
># Thanks so much for you work Ramana!
># Bernd
>
>Mr. Wuebben is a major participant with the K Desktop project and I wonder
>where maintaining the HylaFAX rpm is in his list of priorities - if you can
>show the enthusiasm and the commitment the job could be yours?

I have mailed Bernd to see how much he wants to do this. I'd love to take it
on, but wish not to step on any toes here. Great stuff that KDE - I run it on
all my machines.

>The HylaFAX community does need a solid, reliable rpm package - it is so
>often the way people are introduced to the software in the first place.

I agree.

>We have been well served by Matthew Rice and Ramana Juvvadi in the past and we
>need to carry that on with someone who runs and has an interest in HylaFAX.

Again, I agree. Thanks to them both there _is_ an RPM, even if it's a bit less
than completely vanilla ;-)

>I hope you can feel you can make the contribution.

I do. But I'm not sure I'm needed. We'll see how Bernd feels.

>Discussion *is* warranted; Ramana decided that in some aspects the rpm should
>'plough its own furrow' and I think it would be a good idea to have a general
>agreement on some of the controversial matters.

Could not agree more. I can see myself filling in a few of the more
unconventional furrows.

>My suggestion to start the ball rolling; could we have the patch level in the
>rpm filename - ie hylafax-4.0.2-9.i386.rpm ?

Of course - this should always have been there. As Nico suggests, the rh5
should be in there as well if it's glibc.

-D