Re: FaxQCleaner & faxaddmodem complaining ...

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, nick s. wrote:

> I'm running Solaris 2.6 (SunOS 5.6 sun4m sparc) and have installed the
> hylafax-sparc-sunos5.5-v4.0pl1-pkg.gz package.
>
> ** First problem - FaxQCleaner is complaing.  Here's what I get:
>
> (/var/adm/messages) every hour:
> Mar 23 10:00:00 rain FaxQCleaner[4004]: The fax server must run with real uid root.

I think you've got it installed suid root, instead of real uid root.

> installed in /opt/local/fax/lib using pkgadd:
> -rwsr-xr-x   1 root     other     505740 Dec  9  1996 hfaxd

Not relevant to this problem.

> ** Second, faxaddmodem and probemodem complain:
> (using /dev/cua/a)
>
> Probing for best speed to talk to modem: 38400 OK.
>
> Hmm, something seems to be hung, check your modem eh?"

This is normal, although alarming when we see it.

> Hmm, this looks like a Class 2 modem.

OK, you're connected at 38400.

> Modem manufacturer is "Multi-Tech Systems".
> Modem model is "MT2834MR".
> DTE-DCE flow control scheme [default]?
>
> Should I worry about that "Hmm, something seems to be hung, check your
> modem eh?"  error during setup?  Everything appears to be working fine
> (sending and receiving), although it has not been used extensively (only
> about 5 incoming and 5 outgoing so far).

> I hope I supplied enough information.
> Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks!!

You're fine. I'd worry about using /dev/cua/a instead of /dev/tty*/*,
since Sun and other UNIX systems have this strange "split-device
trick" that HylaFAX does *NOT* work with.

			Nico Garcia
			Engineer, CIRL
			Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary
			raoul@cirl.meei.harvard.edu