Re: FaxQCleaner & faxaddmodem complaining ...

In message <Pine.SUN.3.96.980323175606.18819A-100000@earfull>, Nico Garcia writes:

> On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, nick s. wrote:
>
> > I'm running Solaris 2.6 (SunOS 5.6 sun4m sparc) and have installed the
> > hylafax-sparc-sunos5.5-v4.0pl1-pkg.gz package.
> >
> > ** First problem - FaxQCleaner is complaing.  Here's what I get:
> >
> > (/var/adm/messages) every hour:
> > Mar 23 10:00:00 rain FaxQCleaner[4004]: The fax server must run with real uid root.
>
> I think you've got it installed suid root, instead of real uid root.
>
> > installed in /opt/local/fax/lib using pkgadd:
> > -rwsr-xr-x   1 root     other     505740 Dec  9  1996 hfaxd
>
> Not relevant to this problem.
>
> > ** Second, faxaddmodem and probemodem complain:
> > (using /dev/cua/a)
> >
> > Probing for best speed to talk to modem: 38400 OK.
> >
> > Hmm, something seems to be hung, check your modem eh?"
>
> This is normal, although alarming when we see it.
>

> > Hmm, this looks like a Class 2 modem.
>
> OK, you're connected at 38400.
>
> > Modem manufacturer is "Multi-Tech Systems".
> > Modem model is "MT2834MR".
> > DTE-DCE flow control scheme [default]?
> >
> > Should I worry about that "Hmm, something seems to be hung, check your
> > modem eh?"  error during setup?  Everything appears to be working fine
> > (sending and receiving), although it has not been used extensively (only
> > about 5 incoming and 5 outgoing so far).
>
> > I hope I supplied enough information.
> > Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks!!
>
> You're fine. I'd worry about using /dev/cua/a instead of /dev/tty*/*,
> since Sun and other UNIX systems have this strange "split-device
> trick" that HylaFAX does *NOT* work with.
>
> 			Nico Garcia
> 			Engineer, CIRL
> 			Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary
> 			raoul@cirl.meei.harvard.edu

As Nico said, check the mode of FaxQCleaner.

I always get the Hmm...

Under Solaris, I've had better luck with "cua" devices since carrier
detect doesn't need to asserted for open.   I know I *had* to do this
in the past, but things my work better now.  (I'm thinking of
faxaddmodem.)

HylaFAX works fine with "cua" devices.  You just can't use "term"
devices for gettys and such.  If you're using HylaFAX, you should *not*
use Solaris ttymon.  Let HylaFAX start a getty if you need one.  This
really is the best way.

If you use "cua" for HylaFAX, you *must* use "cua" for everything.
(cu, tip, kermit, etc.)

Tom Szybist
szybist@boxhill.com