Re: Fax != uucp

> > > I did not change the defined FAX_USER variable, but I changed the
> > > setup-scripts faxsetup and faxaddmodem and I gave fax another uid than
> > > uucp and it works...
> >
> > The problem here is that you can't share usage of the modems with any
> > other programs (uucp, cu, kermit, etc.) that depend on the modem
>
> I can, because all the fax-stuff runs with uid uucp. The fax user is in
> the same group (uucp) as uucp is (what else). And /var/lock is set rwx for
> the group uucp.

The device itself is the main problem.  Unless you have seriously
malicious users you can probably set /var/lock to mode 777.  But
you probably want to limit access to the modems and cu/kermit, etc.
know how to setuid uucp but I don't think they know much about groups.
Also, on at least some systems if you ever run the system uugetty
or ttymon it will change the owner to uucp, mode to rw only by owner.
If you can keep group rw enabled on the device and leave it owned
by the uucp uid everything should work.

  Les Mikesell
   les@mcs.com