Re: user ID discrepancy- fax vs. uucp

> Using BSDI 3.0, I get an error message "duplicate user id fax 6 uucp 6"

If this is more than a warning, I'd get BSDI fixed.  Having multiple
aliases for root, in particular, is safer than making several people
share the same password.

Incidentally, there are other areas where it is unwise to blindly accept
the Linux user id structure, e.g. unless you explicitly set the default
user for sendmail, it will not use the, correct, daemon, on Slackware linux.
The user it does use is not one that you should want it to use for
marginally trusted operations.  I get the impression, also that some of
the user IDs in Slackware were put there without any real understanding.

My suspicion is that the correct fix, if it really becomes necessary
is to globally replace fax by uucp, whenever a user-ID is used within
Hylafax.