DialRules - external variable input

Folks,

I was perusing the DialRules.c++ code to determine if it was possible to
insert a variable that is determined dynamically from the environment or
the fax ID #.  Basically, I want to have a rule something like this:

  ^	= #${serial},

where the $serial variable is a serial number I send prior to dialing the
number.  The $serial could be the commid or the jobid number.

The reason I would like to do this is that we get a feed directly from our
phone switch with pricing information and such, but there's no sure-fire
way to link a phone switch record to a fax transfer record.  (yes, you can
get close, but there's the occasional record which fails to match up,
espcially when we do big broadcast faxes, and it's a nightmare if the
times drift by more than a few seconds).

Ideally, by sending a PIN code that's actually a serial number, I am in
great shape to do matching.  So, for job 1523, the number "5551212" would
become "1523#,5551212", my phone record would contain PIN 1523, and I
would be able to match it to job 1523 and do my entitlement billing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

David.