Re: faxgetty as a callback server.

> > Yes, but the question was not to *login* into the system.
> > What Lorenzo wants (and what I'ld call a good new feature
> > for HylaFAX's faxgetty(1M)) is that faxgetty(1M) accepts
> > a call, checks if it is a data call and checks also if
> > PPP-packets are coming in from the caller and (if so) directly
> > launches a PPP-daemon rather than the normal system getty or
> > ttymon. The problem with that is that faxgetty(1M) has to
> > read a few chars from the modem to check if they are PPP-data
> > and if not has to hand-over these characters to the normal
> > system's getty (e.g. push them back to modem fd to let
> > getty read them which isn't possible without integrating
> > the getty into faxgetty(1M)). With PPP the authentication
> > could be done directly using PAP or CHAP.
>
> Fair enough, but this completely replaces the getty normally
> associated with a dial-up line with a pppd. That means that that line
> can no longer accept simple serial line communications such as Kermit,
> Hyperterminal, White Knight, UUCP, etc. That's why I think it's much
> more flexible to set this up as a configuration per-user, instead of as
> a per modem-line setup.

I believe you miss the point. The meaning was to check if it is a PPP
connection and in that case start a ppp daemon. Otherwise the normal
getty/ttymon would be called.

I think this would be a nice addition. I have been thinking in these terms
myself as I have an ISDN TA (ZyXEL 2864I) that accepts both synchronous and
asynchronous connections and I can't call in from a Sun with an ISDN board as
there is no provision for chatscripts when running synch PPP. Using this scheme
they would authenticate using PAP or CHAP.

> It might be set up as some options traditionally are, where if you
> don't interrupt it in 5 seconds it falls through and gives you a PPP
> access or, in Lorenzo's case, a dialback....
>
> > On my system at home I've one faxgetty(1M) running which launches
> > directly the PPP-daemon (instead of ttymon). I simply
> > patched the name "/usr/lib/saf/ttymon" to "/usr/local/ppp/pppd"
> > in a copy of sbin/faxgetty. The "modem" on this line is a
> > ZyXEL 2864I ISDN-TA and the Cisco 2503 in my company uses
> > CHAP to dial-in via PPP into my system at home. This line
> > can't be used for "normal" logins of course.
>
> Exactly. I think a standard SunOS serial line is more useful having
> straight shell capability, to permit people to read their email with
> something simple like Kermit instead of futzing with their calling
> machine's network setups and using PPP.
>
> >     What you want, I think, is to have a shell script as your dialup login
> >     shell: this shell would then run off and start up the callback feature.
>
> Except that Lorenzo wants to have the same account names for his users
> as for their dialup use: this makes replacing their login shells
> problematic at best. Better to have some sort of option called from
> their .login or .profile file, something to then fire off the callback
> feature.
>
> 			Nico Garcia
> 			Engineer, CIRL
> 			Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary
> 			raoul@cirl.meei.harvard.edu

Real life:      Thomas Törnblom             Email:  Thomas.Tornblom@Hax.SE
Snail mail:     HB Hax                      Phone:    +46  18 290 290
                Banvallsvägen 14            Fax:      +46  18 290 291
                S - 754 40 Uppsala, Sweden  Cellular: +46 708 323118