Re: sendfax/faxcover problems resolved (sort of)

> I've had trouble getting sendfax and faxcover to do exactly what I
> want, mostly regarding idiosyncratic phone jiggery-pokery.
>
> For example, all Oregon State phones are one exchange, no matter where
> in the state they are physicly they are internal calls, and can only
> be reached by prefixing a 7 on the four digit number.  i.e. 867.1234
> -> 7.1234.  All outside calls, LD or local, need to have a 9 prefix.
> All LD calls need to be suffixed by a secret number which you don't
> want appearing on the fax as the to-fax-number so the dialed number
> has to be different from the displayed number on the fax cover
> sheet. i.e. 91555.555.1234@secretcodenumber -> 91555.555.1234.

Those transformations don't sound impossible with the stock
dialrules.  I fill in the outbound prefix and the 1 for LD if
it is missing and also allow a #7xxxx prefix which is a
bill-to-alternate-extension code without displaying it.

> What I did was to write my own sendfax and faxcover in perl that
> performs replacements as per dialrules, but also senses when prefixes
> and suffixes should be added or deleted and uses the ~/.hylafaxrc
> resource file like it ought to.

If you can detect when to add/delete with a regexp match you should
be able to describe them in the dialrules transformations.

Les Mikesell
  les@mcs.com