Re: faxgetty doesn't take over the serial port

On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Ofri Sadowsky wrote:

[snip]
> spawning faxgetty (on the same device - ttyf1). faxgetty was able to
> take the serial port (the LED indicator for DTE-DCE connection is on)
> UNTIL i sent a fax document. After the send, faxgetty did not take
> control of the port, and I had to kill it and have it respawned by
> init() in order for the DTE-DCE connection to be on again (it turns off
> right after the end of the send session).
> The same thing happens if I use uugetty instead of faxgetty.

Hmm. Does your set up string for your modem have a setting which resets
the modem when DTR (?) drops low? Faxgetty uses quite a bit. The other
major thing to look for is: cabling.

Aside from this, you may try looking thru' (or post to the list) the
syslogd-trace logs for the conversation between faxgetty and your modem.
Once the fax has gone out, `faxstat -s' should read "Running and idle",
any other response will give usually you a good idea just what's wrong.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen                          e-mail : jonc@pinnacle.co.nz
  Pinnacle Software Ltd                Voice  : +64.9.415.4460