faxgetty doesn't take over the serial port

I installed HylaFAX Facsimile Software, Version 4.0pl1 on a Silicon
Graphics O2 workstation operating on IRIX 6.3. I have a US-Robotics
Sprortster modem, through which I can send faxes sucessfully. I wanted
to set the modem to receive inbound DATA calls only (not fax).
The standard program to handle incoming calls was uugetty(1M) which is
executed according the the /etc/inittab commands. When I used the modem
for data only (without HylaFax), it would work OK. I was able to
initiate an outbound call from the machine, and an inbound call as well.
I replaced the line spawning uugetty in /etc/inittab with a line
spawning faxgetty (on the same device - ttyf1). faxgetty was able to
take the serial port (the LED indicator for DTE-DCE connection is on)
UNTIL i sent a fax document. After the send, faxgetty did not take
control of the port, and I had to kill it and have it respawned by
init() in order for the DTE-DCE connection to be on again (it turns off
right after the end of the send session).
The same thing happens if I use uugetty instead of faxgetty.

1. What can I do to avoid this (I wand to have inbound data calls, and
outbound data & fax)
2. Is it possible to use uugetty without faxgetty to handle incoming
calls (no voice or fax calls are expected for the number) ?
3. If I use faxgetty, how can I make it start uugetty instead of getty
for an incoming call, and is there any difference between the two?

Thanks,
     Ofri
--
Ofri Sadowsky, System Administrator