Re: HylaFAX and further development

[note added Cc:]

On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, Stan Brown wrote:

>   Is it possible that the lack of develpment represens the maturity of
>   this software? For example what enhancements can you think of? Other
>   than cleaning up a few build problems on certain machines, I for one,
>   would be hard pressed to think of any changes that I need. Am I just
>   not aware of neededfeatures?

Well, the TODO file in the source distributions lists some stuff that
could need doing. My pick of stuff that needs to be looked at from
that file are:

    BH job group support is broken
    B  sloppy processing of +FHNG: response to AT+FDT (extra read+timeout)
    H  use T.30 subaddress routing for received facsimile (needs database)
    H  select modems based on criteria such as destination phone number
       (for locations where some lines are capable of long distance calls
       while others are not)
    M  batch multiple jobs to the same destination (important for pages)
    M  bound transmit page count on a per-user basis
    M  add faxq lock to avoid naive users starting multiple queuers
    L  faxmove program, analogous to lpmove

    B = outright bug
    H = high priority
    M = medium priority
    L = low priority

Aside from these, there are also bugs involving broken protocol exchanges
between some modems and real-fax machines. There's just got to be a
better way to guess just what the problems without having some human
look over the logs all the time.
--
Jonathan Chen                          e-mail : jonc@pinnacle.co.nz
  Pinnacle Software Ltd                Voice  : +64.9.415.4460