More modem wedged woes

HylaFAX Version 4.0pl1
OS: Solaris 2.5 (x86)
Compiler: gcc 2.6.2

I have sending and receiving working ok, but when I use the single modem for
outgoing PPP calls, I get modem wedged messages, apparently from faxd (not
faxgetty). The status reads "waiting for modem to come ready".

Further info:

1) aspppd is the component that sets up ppp connections automatically when a
packet is routed to the ppp interface. To do so, it forks a child (or so it
appears from ps output). The child sets a UUCP lock on the modem device (cua2
in my case). Once the connection is established, the lock file is left there
until the connection is torn down (by the parent process), but the pid in the
lock file remains that of the child (slightly bogus).

2) When I use the line outgoing with Kermit, I do not get the messages
(presumably because the Kermit lock file has the correct process id in it).

3) I can't really debug on this system because -g is not supported by gcc and
the only debugger I have (gdb) cannot do anything with CC's -g output
(apparently), at least for C++ code. (C code I could probably debug.) So I
can't offer a patch.

4) Even when I turn on most of the trace bits, I do not seem to get trace
output. Perhaps someone could advise me further on that matter. (Solaris seems
to be a bit unusual in general :-).

Regards --							Eliot Moss

J. Eliot B. Moss, Associate Professor
Computer Science Department, LGRC          (413) 545-4206
University of Massachusetts                (413) 545-1249 (fax)
Box 34610                                  moss@cs.umass.edu (email)
Amherst MA 01003-4610