Re: Problems installing modem with faxaddmodem

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Ales Tancer wrote:

> HI!
>
> 	My name is Ales and i'm new with HylaFax. I have a problem with
> installing fax device for use in HylaFax. I've got source code of
> HylaFax v4.0p11alpha022. I compiled it under Linux (RedHat 4.0 -
> Colgate). There are two modems in my computer. First one is USRobotics
> Sporster 28.8K (internal) and some kind of ISDN modem. ISDN modem is not
> important in this case, because i want to use HylaFax with USR. Whole
> instalation went smooth only there was a problem when HylaFax should
> create a user acc named fax. So i created it my self and run faxsetup
> again. The modem is on COM3 - ttyS2. So i simply typed ttyS2 and all the
> stuff that is needed to setup modem. Faxaddmodem checks speed of modem
> and it stops at 19200. But after choosing speed i get messege "Modem is
> not responding....". Modem is not on a direct line, but on a phone

In that case "Modem is not responding..." means that software is not
recieving feedback for the "AT" commands it has sent. There is no line
test at that stage as far as I know.

Modems on COM3 often cause hardware conflicts with COM1 since they share
the same hardware IRQ. You may try one of these:

* Disable COM1 from the bios setup - if the port is on board - else with
the jumpers on the I/O card.

* Disable both COM1 and COM3 as described above and set your internal USR
modem to COM1.

* Configure your internal modem to use an IRQ other than 3 or 4 (using
IRQ 5, 7 or 9 may be a good idea), then configure your rc.serial for the
new IRQ setting.

Re-run faxsetup.

Good luck.

Emre Sezginer