Re: Problems with Hylafax 4.0pl0 under aix 3.2.5

Howdy,

I am the supplier of the AIX binary.

It looks like you haven't read the INSTALL notes for AIX very carefully.

Also, the web page FAQ probably answers some of your questions.  I will
try to help, but I don't have access to anything, as I am at home right
now.

> Hello,
>   I am having trouble starting Hylafax on my aix machine. I apologize if my
> problems have already been answered somewhere in the mailing list archive. An
> extensive search provided me with no clues, hence I am seeking help here.
>
> First, here's what I did:
>   I downloaded and installed the binary distribution
> hylafax-aix3.2.5-v4.0pl0.cpio.gz on my machine. The machine is an IBM RS6000
> laptop model number N40 and runs aix 3.2.5
>
>   After performing the cpio extraction, I executed the faxsetup and
> faxaddmodem scripts and everything was reported to be ok (except warnings
> about unavaliabiliy of /bin/vgetty and /bin/egetty programs.
>
> 	faxaddmodem was run as "faxaddmodem tty1"
>
> Here are the problems that I am having:
>   running the command faxmodem tty1 reports that "FIFO: open: No such device
> or address"
>
> 	running "hfaxd -i 4459 -o 4457" seems to have no effect because a ps
> listing after that indicates there is no hfaxd process running.

You HAVE to get hfaxd running before anything will work.  If you are only
trying to start hfaxd, then THAT IS WRONG.  There is a process called
faxq that has to be started before hfaxd.

>   faxstat command reports "can not reach server at host "localhost", port
> 4459

see above.

>   So, overall it seems that I am unable to get the server side software
> running at all.
>
> Also I would very much appreciate if anyone could inform me how to associate
> faxgetty program with the /dev/tty1 on a permanent basis. On my machine, the
> modem is connected and available on /dev/tty1 (and it works, because I use
> kermit successfully). Using smit to change the tty program fails because smit
> runs the command "chdev -l tty1 /usr/local/sbin/faxgetty" which is an
> incorrect syntax to the chdev command.

See my INSTALL notes for AIX on how to do this.  It gives the EXACT command
to use.  it uses the chitab command ( I think that is what it is ).

>   If it helps, I would like to inform that before downloading Hylafax, there
> was a vendor supplied software called FAXTOOL that had been installed and it
> seemed to have been configured to only use /dev/tty1 as it's port. However it
> was not working either. So I have been trying to install Hylafax, but so far
> no luck.
>
>  Any information and pointers would be highly appreciated.

Here is my the relevant parts from my /etc/rc.local

# /etc/rc.local
# Local startup commands.  This file is executed by /etc/inittab
#
# Created: 	Sun Oct 30 19:07:15 MST 1994, sew
#
# Last updated: Sun Oct 30 21:18:24 MST 1994, sew
#		- to add setrts program call
#

# Start up the Fax Daemon
# do a ps first, to see if there is one running.  The PS includes
# the PS process, so we need to subtract 1 to get the math correct

num_faxd=`ps -ef | grep faxq | wc -l`
if [ $num_faxd -eq 1 ]; then
	/usr/local/sbin/faxq > /dev/console 2>&1 # start fax
fi

num_hfaxd=`ps -ef | grep hfaxd | wc -l`
if [ $num_hfaxd -eq 1 ]; then
	/usr/local/sbin/hfaxd -i hylafax -o fax > /dev/console 2>&1 # listen\
fi

# Hack to get faxgetty into inittab
num_faxgetty=`ps -ef | grep faxgetty | wc -l`
if [ $num_faxgetty -eq 1 ]; then
	# the pdisable & chdev is to make sure no-one has played in
	# smit, not knowing what they are doing.
        pdisable tty1 ; chdev -l tty1 -a login=disable ; sleep 2
	/etc/chitab "tty1:2:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/faxgetty /dev/tty1"
fi

--
	Steve Williams, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
	Genie Computer Systems Inc.