Problems with Hylafax 4.0pl0 under aix 3.2.5

Hello,
  I am having trouble starting Hylafax on my aix machine. I apologize if my
problems have already been answered somewhere in the mailing list archive. An
extensive search provided me with no clues, hence I am seeking help here.

First, here's what I did:
  I downloaded and installed the binary distribution
hylafax-aix3.2.5-v4.0pl0.cpio.gz on my machine. The machine is an IBM RS6000
laptop model number N40 and runs aix 3.2.5

  After performing the cpio extraction, I executed the faxsetup and
faxaddmodem scripts and everything was reported to be ok (except warnings
about unavaliabiliy of /bin/vgetty and /bin/egetty programs.

	faxaddmodem was run as "faxaddmodem tty1"

Here are the problems that I am having:
  running the command faxmodem tty1 reports that "FIFO: open: No such device
or address"

	running "hfaxd -i 4459 -o 4457" seems to have no effect because a ps
listing after that indicates there is no hfaxd process running.

  faxstat command reports "can not reach server at host "localhost", port
4459

  So, overall it seems that I am unable to get the server side software
running at all.

Also I would very much appreciate if anyone could inform me how to associate
faxgetty program with the /dev/tty1 on a permanent basis. On my machine, the
modem is connected and available on /dev/tty1 (and it works, because I use
kermit successfully). Using smit to change the tty program fails because smit
runs the command "chdev -l tty1 /usr/local/sbin/faxgetty" which is an
incorrect syntax to the chdev command.

  If it helps, I would like to inform that before downloading Hylafax, there
was a vendor supplied software called FAXTOOL that had been installed and it
seemed to have been configured to only use /dev/tty1 as it's port. However it
was not working either. So I have been trying to install Hylafax, but so far
no luck.

 Any information and pointers would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Milind Kamble
(kamble@cs.binghamton.edu)