RE: Opening Tiff files on Win95(ie dos) machines

On Tuesday, April 01, 1997 9:28 PM, James Cardwell[SMTP:cardwell@sfu.ca] wrote:
>I'm attempting to set up a fax server for a small lan of 25 machines. My
>server is a linux box running kernel 2.00 (Slackware). The client
>machines are all Win95 machines which I am going to use Flexfax as the
>client program. I've intalled hylafax, upgraded to ghostscipt 4.03, and
>have everything working, except for the following problem:
>
>Problem:  Opening hylafax tiff files on the client machines: When
>sending received faxes to a Win95 client - (as tiff files), the dos tiff
>viewers return the error "Invalid Huffman Code" when trying to open the
>tiff. The "viewfax" program on the linux box is able to open and view
>the same file - so I know the file if not corrupted. Are the tiff files
>created by the hylafax/tiff progams compatable with the dos tiff format?
>Alternatively, is there a windows viewer for viewing hylafax faxes? Am I
>completely on the wrong track?
>
>I realize that one alternative is to convert the tiff files back to
>postscript - however, I would like to avoid doing that.

1) Tiff solution - You must change the TIFF parameters for Win95/NT client viewers, it's something like - (for faxrecv batch file)

# Making tmp uuencode base 64 tif file #

# $TIFFCP -c none  -f msb2lsb $FILE $TIF1
# $TIFFCONV -s "x" -o $TIF2 $TIF1

# X=`wc -l $TIF2 | awk '{print $1}'`
# X=`expr $X - 1`
# $AWK '{if (NR > 14 && NR < X) print $0}' X=$X $TIF2 > $TIF3

# Deleting the tmp tif files at the end
# of the script

2) I realy thing that a postscript solution is much better. (send the a postscript file to the user and install a Win95/NT postscript utility )
(and again a part from the script file)
Notify()
{
    echo "To: $*"
    echo "From: The HylaFAX Receive Agent <fax>"
    echo 'Subject: Fax from "'$SENDER'"'
    echo "";
    $INFO $FILE
    cat<<EOF
TimeToRecv: $TIME minutes
SignalRate: $RATE
DataFormat: $FORMAT
Sender: $SENDER
EOF

    if [ "$MSG" ]; then
        echo ""
        echo "The full document was not received because:"
        echo ""
        echo "    $MSG"
    fi
}

     MIMEBOUNDARY="NextPart$$"
(
     echo "Mime-Version: 1.0"
     echo 'Content-Type: Multipart/Mixed; Boundary="'$MIMEBOUNDARY'"'
     echo "--$MIMEBOUNDARY"
     echo "Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII"
     Notify FaxMaster
     echo ""
     echo "--$MIMEBOUNDARY"
     echo 'Content-Type: application/postscript; name="fax.ps"'
     echo "Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit"
     echo "Content-Description: FAX document"
     echo ""
     $FAX2PS $FILE 2>/dev/null
     echo ""
     echo "--$MIMEBOUNDARY--"