sendpage hangs

I'm having some problem with alpha paging.  The environment is

Solaris 2.4
hylafax version hylafax-v4.0pl1

sendpage is hanging apparently right after the 'SEND' command.
I'm guessing it has something to do with reading or writing to the FIFO
but I'm unsure.

Here's a sample telnet sesion with port 444

raptor 956$ telnet localhost 444
Trying 127.0.0.1 ...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 raptor.mtc.ti.com SNPP server (HylaFAX (tm) Version 4.0pl1) ready.
login rmfowler
230 User rmfowler logged in.
page rex
500 PAFE: Command not recognized.
page rex
250 Pager ID accepted; provider: xxxyyyy pin: wwwzzzz jobid: 40.
mess testing telnet
250 Message text OK.
send
250 Message processing completed.

There is a few minute delay before the '250 Message processing completed'

If I interrupt it, I can then use 'pagesend' to send the message
successfully.

Any ideas of what I can look or if there's more information I can give you.
Since pagesend works, I believe the modem and serial port are setup ok.
The problem seems to be communication between hfaxd and faxq.

They 2 processed do share a FIFO, correct?  From what I can tell,
another FIFO per device is created when using faxgetty, which I'm not
currently.

Thanks,

--
Rex Fowler              http://www.mtc.ti.com/~rmfowler