Re: Help with USR Sportster 33.6 modem, RedHat Linux 4.1

At 09:13 24/03/97 EST, Nico Garcia replied:

>Conceivable, but I don't think so. My mouse is a PS/2 mouse. From what
>little DOS work I've done, it seems that the COM1/COM3 setup you've
>described would never have worked even under Win95, and the modem and
>mouse operate fine under Win95 with the exact same hardware.
>
>	  reconfig your internal modem jumpers to use that
>	  tell Linux (using setserial) that this is the IRQ for that port.
>
>I downloaded setserial last night, and will be playing with it today.
>I thought USR Sportsters had software configurable interrupts: at least,
>I seem able to play with it in the Win95 device manager.

Hi, Nico.

I believe the internal 14.4 and 28.8 USR Sportsters have a jumper on the
card for both the COM port and the IRQ. They are said to be factory set
to COM2 and IRQ3. I would expect the 33.6 version to be the same - the
manual will confirm or otherwise.

My understanding is that the settings in the Windows '95 device manager
must match the settings on the card; this is the case with my non-Plug and
Pray ethernet card.

A possibility to investigate is that your modem is set to COM2, but with
an alternative IRQ, say IRQ5 . The Linux commands would be something like:

        /bin/setserial /dev/cua1 irq 5
        /bin/setserial /dev/cua1 spd_vhi
        /bin/setserial -a /dev/cua1 >> /var/log/messages

Good Luck!

Cheers,
Phil Watkinson,
Boston, UK.