{HELP} I cannot receive correct fax

----------

Hi,

I've installed Hylafax successfully. When I send fax, no matter it's
TIFF image or ASCII text, the receiver only get some of the context.
(it looks like half page, and some lines are merged together).

Platform: Pentiem PC
OS:       SCO UnixWare 2.1
Hylafax:  V4.0pl1
Modem:    ZyXEL Elite 2864

A tried to find answer from Hylafax FAQ, the question 141 is similar
to my question, but to no avail.

Any suggestions or comments are really appreciated.

Regards,
Qian

Q141: Why do my transmitted faxes appear squished at the receiver?

A.   This problem is caused by the modem firmware not properly implementing
     the Class 2 specification. Some modems are incapable of accepting an
     AT+FDIS command to set the session parameters between the time a call
     is placed and a page is transmitted. Modems with this sort of problem
     may ignore the AT+FDIS command which causes incorrect session
     parameters being used to interpret the page data (often resulting in
     ``squished pages''), or abort the session, returning a +FHNG: status
     message to the host. If you encounter this problem use the
     Class2DDISCmd configuration parameter to enable workaround support in
     the fax server (this support was added in v2.3beta036.)

----------

Q141: Why do my transmitted faxes appear squished at the receiver?

 [?] Got something to say about this answer? Hit the question mark to invoke
     the mailer and send your comments to the HylaFAQ maintainers.

Q.   Why do my transmitted faxes appear squished at the receiver?

     I recently installed FlexFAX, Version 2.3beta on a Sparc IPC using gcc
     2.5.8. I am using a Practical Peripherals PM14400FXMT modem hanging off
     my ttyb serial port.

     When I send faxes they are printed on the other end in about half the
     vertical space they should take up.

     I see these entries in the log:

     Oct 23 14:44:05.42: [20266]: REMOTE best vres 7.7 line/mm
     Oct 23 14:44:05.44: [20266]: USE 3.85 line/mm

     and this looks fishy to me. I scanned a few back issues of the archive
     for this mailing list and see the same thing in other logs, but with no
     complaints of squashed faxes.

     When I generate a tiff file and view it it does not appear to be
     squashed. So it isn't ghostscript to blame.

     Any hints on what the problem could be?

A.   This problem is caused by the modem firmware not properly implementing
     the Class 2 specification. Some modems are incapable of accepting an
     AT+FDIS command to set the session parameters between the time a call
     is placed and a page is transmitted. Modems with this sort of problem
     may ignore the AT+FDIS command which causes incorrect session
     parameters being used to interpret the page data (often resulting in
     ``squished pages''), or abort the session, returning a +FHNG: status
     message to the host. If you encounter this problem use the
     Class2DDISCmd configuration parameter to enable workaround support in
     the fax server (this support was added in v2.3beta036.)

Note: Some of the hyperlinks (e.g. for the man pages) can only work, if the
HylaFAX software and the full documentation are installed on your system.

Matthias Apitz / guru@softcon.de ; (07:34:58 AM 01/27/97)