Re: Problem with hfaxd

On Thu, 13 Feb 1997 mlist@stonemicro.com.au wrote:

> I am installing outgoing faxes with hylafax-v4.0pl1 and I can send faxes
> on that machine (linux-2.0.22) using sendfax. I can also see the queue with
> a faxstat -s. I would like to set up a few client machines. My problem is
> that when I start hfaxd -i 4559 (standalone) on the server I get:
>
> Feb 13 08:40:24 sgap HylaFAX[14886]: HylaFAX INET: Unable to init server, trying again in 5 seconds.
>
> this message repeats after 10 and after 20 secs.
> I have checked the doco/FAQ but cant find any reference to this problem.
> Any ideas.

Hi:

   Unfortunately the answer to your question won't be available until the
next release of the FAQ list. So, I guess I will have to "recite" the
solution again. :-)

   Basically, most of the problems you might have with HylaFAX and any
other server-client type of software (rplay comes to my mind now) under
Linux have to do with a misconfiguration or, rather, a lack of
configuration of a network for standalone machines.

   First, you should provide a name and a IP number to your machine
besides "127.0.0.1 localhost". Simply add a line to your /etc/hosts file

	127.0.0.1	localhost
	127.0.0.2   	mymachine

Second, you should add a route to both localhost and mymachine in
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1

#!/bin/sh

HOSTNAME=`hostname`

# Attach the loopback device.
/sbin/ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
/sbin/route add -net 127.0.0.0

# Attach a dummy workstation
/sbin/route add 127.0.0.1
/sbin/ifconfig dummy mymachine
/sbin/route add mymachine

   After this, kill the inetd daemon and wait a little bit until it
restarts. Do 'ping mymachine' and you should have an output such as

PING mymachine (127.0.0.2): 56 data bytes