Re: where is manpage?

Ronald Wiplinger wrote:

    On Wed, 5 Feb 1997 17:01:25 +0100 (MET), Matthias Apitz wrote:

    >Ronald Wiplinger wrote:
    >
    >    Finally I got the faq package, but it needs manpage.
    >
    >    Where can I find it?
    >

    >    find . -name manpage -print
    >    did not find it in the hylafax-v4.0pl1 directory.
    >
    >$ find . -name "manpage*" -print
    >./html/tools/manpage.sh.in
    >$ find . -exec fgrep -l manpage {} \;
    >./distrules
    >./regex/WHATSNEW
    >./html/binary.html
    >./html/building.html
    >./html/documentation.html
    >./html/ixotap.html
    >./html/operation.html
    >./html/overview.html
    >./html/setup.html
    >./html/setup-advanced.html
    >./html/setup-client.html
    >./html/source.html
    >./html/troubleshooting.html
    >./html/upgrade4.0.html
    >./html/v2.3beta036.html
    >./html/faxgateway.html
    >./html/tools
    >./html/tools/Makefile.in
    >./html/tools/manpage.sh.in
    >
    >	matthias

    Dear Matthias,

    I know you have done a great job in writing the docs. I really appreaciate that. However, to give
    here on the list only "Oracle" answers, like look there, look this is not funny anymore, especially
    when this answers are just a more work.

I'm dealing with HylaFAX for a long time now and reading/answering
questions in this list. Please try to understand my point:
I'm willing to search for a *real* problem all the code (also
if it is your problem and not my) but I'm not willing to answer
such easy questions (as the above one) again and again. This
question could be answered by *yourself* if you have read the
documentation all and carefully (which Sam wrote, not me!).
This topic (about CGI_BIN and HTML Configuring) is in detail
explained in the documentation (e.g. in the file
on your disk html/building.html) but I think you have not read
it. A simple fgrep(1) string search for "manpage" and going to all
places where the string "manpage" was found (again: on your disk!)
had answered your question without all this bandwidth of the internet.
I know it's easy to post a question to the list, quite
easier than to read all this stuff. And if you get a hint (and
this is what my answer was: read and search carefully and twice
before asking a question) about it you're going to blame
the guys who are willing(!) to help you out. Perhaps it's
better to ignore such questions in the future. Don't know
if this is more help for you.

    Remember, just a small problem occures, you send me to read Qxx and Qxx, which in return
    are updated and not the answer at this time. Next step I downloaded the NEW FAQ, to get

the URL's in the HylaFAQ are pretty much fine and
it is not my fault if there is caching
on your disk for the browser and/or in the proxies; a last
chance is allways to download the FAQ to your disk and read it
without a http-daemon (just as explained in the README of the FAQ);

    finally the answer of your references, there are some parts in the description wrong of the setup
    (name of HylaFAQ and hylafax was swapped).

I'm happy for all bug-reports about the FAQ or other hints.
But this one I don't understand. Please explain which file
is wrong or misleading.

    Next I come to the point that one program is
    missing.

    I thought my question was easy to understand. I repeat it for you:

    >    Finally I got the faq package, but it needs manpage.
    >
    >    Where can I find it?

    Of course this question includes not just a search for a part of it. I need to get the file manpage,
    not manpage.sh.in.

You can't get it -- you have to build it (as explained in the
documentation building.html).

    So, maybe you can find me another Qxx number, which will tell me how to get the file.

yes, the same hint is also in Q33 of the FAQ;

    Note:
    I do not have hylafax and the www server on the same machine, maybe that is the point why I
    could not get it during installation.

No. The installation step does not check for any http-daemon. It
just build and copy the files where you want them.

	matthias