Re: help me upgrade, please

Luiz Otavio Lautenschlaeger Zorzella wrote:

    > Matthias Apitz writes:

    Sorry I took so long to question again, but I wanted to make sure I
    got all the points, and I've been drowned in problems since
    january. Ok. Here it goes:

    > Luiz Otavio Lautenschlaeger Zorzella wrote:
    >     I have HylaFax4.0pl0 installed in my system, and I compiled pl1. Now I
    >     want to install pl1, but I'm affraid just making "make install"
    >     without "faxsetup" could not be enough.

    >     Please, take away my fears, and tell me I don't need to reconfigure it
    >     all, and "make install" is enough...

    >     I'm waiting for this to upgrade...

    > You should
    > - save files you later want to re-use (like spool/etc/hosts)

    What files exactly you're talking about? config.cua1, dialrules,
    faxcover.ps, or what?

I've the same problem in my pre-remove script in the x86 SVR4.2
binary distribution of HylaFAX and this is what I think about
files to save:
The package removal normaly removes all files which were installed
by pkgadd(1M) but some of these files you may later want to reuse.
That's why we give you a last chance here to KEEP the following
files (a suffix KEEP will be added using the mv(1) command):

     spool/etc/hosts
     spool/etc/xferlog
     spool/etc/pagermap
     spool/etc/FaxDispatch
     spool/etc/config.*
     lib/*.ps

take it as a start and if you later miss things don't blame me :-)

    > - remove all HylaFAX files;

    You mean: executables? By hand? Isn't this to much to be done for a
    simple pl0 -> pl1 upgrade?

no; I mean *all* files (by hand);

    > - make install
    > - faxsetup

    That step I really wanted to avoid. Since my modem did not change
    (neither the thousands of configurations I have to provide when I ran
    it before), what's the need for this?

you can setup things (like several dirs) in the ./configure
step and these variables will be compiled into the source and
are placed into several scripts (e.g. faxsetup(1M)); if you run
faxsetup(1M) it places these values into spool/etc/setup.cache;

if you later in a new patch level change things *before* running
./configure and you're not runnig faxsetup(1M) again your binaries
and your spool/etc/setup.cache (the old one) don't match;

    > - copy files back you've saved

    Will I have to do it every time I upgrade? ;-(

yes; it's the only *safe* way;

    .--.

    Well... what'll be the matter if I simply hand copy the new bin files over
    the old ones? (faxq, sendfax, textfmt, etc.)

you get what you pay for :-) and you're on your own risk;

	matthias