Re: [hylafax-users] Problem using fax machine and HylaFAX on same line

Am 19.04.2006 00:04:49 schrieb(en) Lee Howard:
Kyle Fish wrote:

We need to have a separate fax machine connected to the same phone line as our HylaFAX server for faxing paper that is external to our computer network. I just had an experience where an employee faxed a 3-page document using the Canon fax machine, while another user used HylaFAX to transmit a single page to a different recipient.
[...]

You can mitigate most of that risk by configuring the modem and the fax machine to check for dialtone before dialing, but even then it's not a guaranteed solution.

Hello Kyle,

you could eliminate the reduced risk with an electronic switch that cuts the line to one of the devices when the other is using the line. The first device that picks up the line will hear the dialtone and the other will not hear anything until the first has hung up.

Bodo