Re: [hylafax-users] Generating a Caller-ID only log file

Aidan Van Dyk wrote:

Wouldn't it just make more sense to switch the order of isCIDOk, and the
DynamicConfig invocation?  This way, the DynamicConfig script could
change QualifyCID (as well as any other config option) based on the full
set of device/callid passed to it?  The patch looks big, but it's
basically just a cut-n-paste with changing an indent level.

There are some types of call screening that are too exotic for QualifyCID as it is. For example, take screening calls based in part on the time of day. For example, take screening calls based on both Caller*ID Name and Number. Let's say that there is a single phone line hooked up in serial with multiple modems ... with QualifyCID as it is you cannot cause all but one of those modems to reject the call... but by so doing you can, effectively, choose which modems are used to answer which calls. These kinds of things are just too exotic for QualifyCID as it is.

In order to do that kind of exotic call screening with DynamicConfig running before QualifyCID you'd have to do something along the lines of creating a temporary cid file that accomplishes what you need and then setting QualifyCID to point to it instead. It seems too difficult.

DynamicConfig has been working off of a basis of only being run when a call is going to be answered. In some cases this may actually be the desired behavior... to only do certain things if the call will be answered. With DynamicConfig running before QualifyCID, then DynamicConfig would need to parse the QualifyCID file in order to make this determination. And yes, the downside is that this way DynamicConfig cannot be run if the call will not be answered, but moving it before QualifyCID is essentially exchanging one missing feature for another.

Yes, I do feel that adding QualifyCID-Ex adds some bloat. What I'd really prefer would be to combine QualifyCID, DynamicConfig, and QualifyCID-Ex all into one... essentially disposing of the Caller*ID Number screening method currently used by QualifyCID. That way the resulting method will know which calls will be answered or not, and it will be able to do all sorts of exotic call screening. I didn't do this because it seemed a bit too radical at the moment for me to want to do independently, but if you're in favor of that approach, then I'm certainly okay for it. Trying to remain backwards-compatible for old configs may be difficult or impossible, though.

Thanks,

Lee.