Re: [hylafax-users] notify

On 12/19/05, Rance Hall <rhall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Chris Baechle wrote:
> Thanks for the prompt response! I guess I'm a little unfarmiliar with
> the arch of hylafax. I'm sending from a windows box using winprint
> hylafax. So I'm not sending directly using sendfax. From what it looks
> like , sendfax is called anyway via another program. I guess I'm a
> little confused as to what program is calling sendfax. Once I find that,
> I can shove in the -D option. Or if it's a binary, its config file.
>
> P.S.
> Sorry for the n00b questions. Once this is solved I'll put it on the
> wiki so at least other noob's might read it and save you guys some time.
>
> On 12/19/05, *Darren Nickerson* < darren.nickerson@xxxxxxxx
> <mailto:darren.nickerson@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     I believe the '-D' option to sendfax will achieve what you want. By
>     default HylaFAX notifies only when the final status is failure.
>     Using -D extends this to also include faxes that are sent
>     successfully. If you're notifying on all events, you're using the -R
>     flag now ... just change that to -D.
>
>     -Darren

if the -D option to sendfax is your answer then you will find a checkbox
or some similar setting in winprint.

Sadly, it doesn't seem to have this option =(   It doesn't seem to have very many options.

I dont use winprint, I use WHFC and in the user setup page there is a
send mail option where you choose how often to send the mail

It has "always", "never", and "when delivered".  I'm looking more along the lines of "Final status". I want to know if it failed completely. However, I do not want to know that it requed it 8 times. This is really a convience to our users. We don't want to spam their inboxes when the fax is undeliverable. However, we still want them to know when it's been successful. We only one them to get one possible email for each fax. Whether it failed or worked.

I do want to suggest that you take a look at WHFC ( I took a look at
winprint and I cant find some of the features that we couldnt do without.)

WHFC included an OLE that you can use from within MS Office scripts to
send faxes automatically.

really cool feature to add to a office fax template in MS Word or
something like that.

Also the WHFC setup seemed much more flexible than the winprint setup did.

Admittedly, WHFC is a superior client.  However, winprint hylafax is much simplier. It has 99% of the features our users want/need (that last 1% being this damn email situtation =P We gave WHFC a test drive, and found it to be confusing to our users. We can show them how to use winprint hylafax in about 10 seconds. WHFC can be accidently exited too easy. Also, it gives them too many options. Some users get scared when faced with too much. winprint hylafax is so simple a monkey could use it. The only possible options to the user are the fax number and return email (and to save that fax number in the address book). If it's too difficult, we found that they'll get up and use the paper fax. We'll probably use WHFC once people get addicted to faxing from their desk. For now, I think winprint hylafax is the best fit.