Re: [hylafax-users] faxgetty+mgetty+login hangs.

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005, Stephen Kirkpatrick wrote:
>What are the permissions and ownership on 'ttyS0' ?  When I've set up
>dial-in services before, I have set the ownership of the tty device to
>uucp and the group to a 'dialingroup' and the permissions 0660.  I also
>added lines to mgetty.config for that port
>   port-owner uucp
>   port-group dialingroup
>   port-mode 0660

The permissions are 644, owner uucp, group uucp, the same as HylaFAX.

The behavior from the viewpoint of a manual dialup with ckermit
is that it accepts the username, but there's no response to the
<ENTER> key (or ctrl-j for that matter).  It just sits there at
the end of the username.

I would expect this type of behavior if the file numbers for the
device weren't what /bin/login expects (I assume that mgetty does
a fork, exec to start /bin/login, and either provides arguments
to /bin/login to point to the device or fiddles file numbers to
get it right).

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

``Democracy Is Mob Rule with Income Taxes''